What exactly is standing behind that lately very famous statement?
As you can see on the illustration above, global warming (in modern culture meaning) is raise of temperature under the earth’s atmosphere, the main cause of it is the emission of gasses such as:
- Water vapor. The most abundant greenhouse gas, but importantly, it acts as a feedback to the climate. Water vapor increases as the Earth’s atmosphere warms, but so does the possibility of clouds and precipitation, making these some of the most important feedback mechanisms to the greenhouse effect.
- Carbon dioxide (CO2). A minor but very important component of the atmosphere, carbon dioxide is released through natural processes such as respiration and volcano eruptions and through human activities such as deforestation, land use changes, and burning fossil fuels. Humans have increased atmospheric CO2 concentration by a third since the Industrial Revolution began. This is the most important long-lived “forcing” of climate change.
- Methane. A hydrocarbon gas produced both through natural sources and human activities, including the decomposition of wastes in landfills, agriculture, and especially rice cultivation, as well as ruminant digestion and manure management associated with domestic livestock. On a molecule-for-molecule basis, methane is a far more active greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, but also one which is much less abundant in the atmosphere.
- Nitrous oxide. A powerful greenhouse gas produced by soil cultivation practices, especially the use of commercial and organic fertilizers, fossil fuel combustion, nitric acid production, and biomass burning.
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). Synthetic compounds of entirely of industrial origin used in a number of applications, but now largely regulated in production and release to the atmosphere by international agreement for their ability to contribute to destruction of the ozone layer. They are also greenhouse gases.
Those gasses make’s it harder for the solar radiation to leave our atmosphere, as they stay in they are heating up everything underneath atmosphere barrier. Most of energy exact of 93.4% is going to ocean’s while rest 2,3% stays in atmosphere, 2,1% heats up continents surface, 0,9% is directed to glacier’s and ice cap’s, 0,8% is smelting arctic sea ice, 0.2% smelt’s ice sheet of greenland and finally 0,2 % is directed to antarctic ice sheet.
On courtesy of our beloved wikipedia I’ll show you two graph’s that on first sight seems to say it all on what’s causing global warming.
As I said it seem’s like those two graph’s say it all, well it kinda does it for ecologists which have their main argument in there, Well it kinda does not for people that google the topic, but Ill write about it later in this article.
There are other factor’s that come in to play when we say about raising temperature on earth’s surface.
- Volcanic activity. During major explosive eruptions huge amounts of volcanic gas, aerosol droplets, and ash are injected into the stratosphere. Injected ash falls rapidly from the stratosphere — most of it is removed within several days to weeks — and has little impact on climate change. But volcanic gases like sulfur dioxide can cause global cooling, while volcanic carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, has the potential to promote global warming.
- El Niño and La Niña El Niño means The Little Boy, or Christ Child in Spanish. El Niño was originally recognized by fishermen off the coast of South America in the 1600s, with the appearance of unusually warm water in the Pacific Ocean. The name was chosen based on the time of year (around December) during which these warm waters events tended to occur.The term El Niño refers to the large-scale ocean-atmosphere climate interaction linked to a periodic warming in sea surface temperatures across the central and east-central Equatorial Pacific.Typical El Niño effects are likely to develop over North America during the upcoming winter season. Those include warmer-than-average temperatures over western and central Canada, and over the western and northern United States. Wetter-than-average conditions are likely over portions of the U.S. Gulf Coast and Florida, while drier-than-average conditions can be expected in the Ohio Valley and the Pacific Northwest.
La Niña means The Little Girl in Spanish. La Niña is also sometimes called El Viejo, anti-El Niño, or simply “a cold event.“
La Niña episodes represent periods of below-average sea surface temperatures across the east-central Equatorial Pacific. Global climate La Niña impacts tend to be opposite those of El Niño impacts. In the tropics, ocean temperature variations in La Niña also tend to be opposite those of El Niño.
During a La Niña year,
- Ozone hole is an annual thinning of the ozone layer over Antarctica, caused by stratospheric chlorine, Other more moderate thinnings have also been called “ozone holes”, such as that over the North Pole during certain weather conditions.
The discovery of the annual depletion of ozone above the Antarctic was first announced in a paper by Joe Farman, Brian Gardiner and Jonathan Shanklin which appeared in Nature in May 1985
The most pronounced decrease in ozone has been in the lower stratosphere. However, the ozone hole is most usually measured not in terms of ozone concentrations at these levels (which are typically of a few parts per million) but by reduction in the totalcolumn ozone, above a point on the earth’s surface, which is normally expressed in Dobson units. Marked decreases in column ozone in the Antarctic spring and early summer compared to the early 1970s and before have been observed using instruments such as the Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS).
In 2012, it has been reported that the ozone hole had decreased to the smallest size since 2002
There is unknown to the most fact that NASA space shuttle’s and other missile launches over the barrier of atmosphere are causing additional hole’s in it due to physically puncturing it’s layer.
Up to this point I was speaking like your usual ecologist that you listen to in media, but let’s face other side of the medal.
I did just highlight with blue color the age of World War II and what happened afterwards. Let’s think, war mean’s a lot of effort in industry work’s to provide for the army so you can win a conflict. Work’s both side’s so we have half of modern day countries increasing their effort in production which mean’s a lot of CO2 being delivered to earth’s atmosphere.
Why then there is decrease in global temperature? If we think the way of casual ecologist’s there should be raise of temperature due to a lot of dioxide being present underneath the ozone layer. It should give us a lot to think about all those people in media and politics arguing about global warming.
I will provide couple fact’s not every one is familiar with:
- Solar cycle is the periodic change in the Sun’s activity (including changes in the levels of solar radiation and ejection of solar material) and appearance (visible in changes in the number of sunspots, flares, and other visible manifestations). Solar cycles have an average duration of about 11 years. They have been observed (by changes in the sun’s appearance and by changes seen on Earth, such as auroras) for hundreds of years.
Solar variation causes changes in space weather, weather, and climate on Earth. It causes a periodic change in the amount of irradiation from the Sun that is experienced on Earth.
Here I provide you with graph showing solar cycle’s through out last 300 year’s ( Imagine there has been a lot of cycle’s since begging of earth, and they varied a lot if we take as fact the age of our galaxy. ). Our documentary is less than 300 years old on that topic and speaking word’s like
” In next 50 years 50% of specie’s will extinct…”
-Years of Living Dangerously
is very controversial to people that are actually interested in the topic ( it sounds very convincing when you tell it to person that normal day is contributed to work and raising children while worrying about economy of modern day life. )
Just to show you an example, I marked the time of World War II and what came afterward’s. Let’s reason, when you’re at war you focus on winning the war. Winning the war mean’s having bigger military argument, bigger military argument mean’s you can provide the army as large as you need to win the war.
Providing for army is basicly putting a lot of effort into industry to raise your military level and everything that goes around proper working of and force to be reckon with in modern world. Communication, providing supplies for men. and so on…
It all comes down to increasing the industrial production, yes you guessed it! Raise of industrial production is increase of CO2 emission due to the fact that in mid 19’s coal was almost 100% power supply for factories.
Look at the marker that’s colored in blue, the temperature drops! ( Hope this bring’s you new light on CO2 emission topic.)
- Milankovitch’s theory describes the collective effects of changes in the Earth’s movements upon its climate, named after Serbian geophysicist and astronomer Milutin Milanković, who worked on it during his internment as a First World War prisoner of war (POW). Milanković mathematically theorized that variations in eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession of the Earth’s orbit determined climatic patterns on Earth through orbital forcing. The Earth’s axis completes one full cycle of precession approximately every 26,000 years. At the same time the elliptical orbit rotates more slowly. The combined effect of the two precessions leads to a 21,000-year period between the astronomical seasons and the orbit. In addition, the angle between Earth’s rotational axis and the normal to the plane of its orbit (obliquity) oscillates between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees on a 41,000-year cycle. It is currently 23.44 degrees and decreasing.
Malkovitch’s theory state’s that every 50 thousands year’s we are affected by major glacial age, just to show you the effect on next 100 year’s the drop of the temperature will be higher than expected raise of it by global warming, so assuming we keep on the CO2 emission we will still maintain around temperature we live in or infact it will be lower than it actually is.
For those of you that don’t know what precession is :
– love you wikipedia
There are various treaties and protocols that talk about global warming and include plan’s to decrease emission’s etc. My personal opinion is that those type of treaties are respected by countries that are not big on global stage of industrial production, for example Kyoto protocol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol) North America and Russia not participating in it make’s it pointless if you count their industry production compared to rest of world.
If you’re thinking about global warming clearly now after this text, then its my success that you wont look into TV with zombie logic when they will show another “PRO” ecology show, since in modern world we all know everything comes and goes around money and politics. I will continue on that topic in my later articles.
To sum up, at the end of the day everyone believe’s in what he think is right. My point was to make it clear that when it comes to global warming not everything is so simple as they show it in media
Hope you guys like what I had to say and will continue to read my thought’s.
Stay green, but not too green.